Interstates & Highways
Interstate is a definite economic strength for all types of industry. The region lies within a triangle of interstates – I-95, I-40, and I-73/74, providing excellent access across the entire half of the United States. North Carolina is currently investing billions of dollars to keep its excellent highway system modern.
The Port of Wilmington is strategically located on the U.S. East Coast. Owned and operated by the North Carolina State Ports Authority, the Port of Wilmington offers terminal facilities serving container, bulk and break bulk operations. An aggressive capital program has positioned the Port of Wilmington in a new class of service to the maritime transportation Industry. A 42-foot navigational channel offers customers additional vessel capacity. Readily available modern transit and warehouse facilities, new state-of-the-art Panamax container cranes and support equipment, and the latest in cargo management technology provide a broad platform for supporting international trade to the fast-growing Southeast U.S.market.
Key ocean carriers include:
- Far East: Yang Ming, “K” Line America, Cosco Container Lines, Hanjin Shipping Co., United Arad Shipping;
- Central America: Maersk Line; Trans Atlantic Services: Independent Container Line;
- Middle East Services: National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia.
Railroads include: CSX, Norfolk-Southern, Aberdeen & Rockfish, Carolina-Southern, Laurinburg & Southern, and Clinton Terminal Railroad. The region has many excellent rail served industrial sites.
Fayetteville, Jacksonville and Wilmington offer full, regional air service, including connections via Delta, US Airways/American and United.
- Jacksonville offers daily non-stops to Atlanta and Charlotte
- Fayetteville offers non-stop flights to Charlotte, Dallas and Washington, DC.
- Wilmington has direct flights to New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Charlotte
- Raleigh-Durham International and Charlotte Douglas International are both easily accessed from the region
Current Major Transportation Improvement Projects
- I-73/74 Extension
- I-140 - Wilmington
- I-295 – Fayetteville
- CSX National Gateway Strategy – rail improvement project from Wilmington to Charlotte
- Port of Wilmington – feasibility Study on harbor improvements
- Port of Wilmington – NCDOT is conducting a study on NC ports for global competition strategy