Southeastern North Carolina has a long and productive history in the textile industry. Over the past decade, a shift from traditional weaving and sewing textiles to advanced and technical non-woven textiles has occurred. Advanced and performance textiles are more automated and provide a variety of products in the region, including military uniforms and equipment, synthetic fibers, environmental protection products, industrial and automotive filters, and clothing. As a leading state in textile manufacturing, North Carolina has a number of excellent resource organizations to assist companies in this industry sector. The center for the entire US textile industry and its technological innovations is North Carolina. There are approximately 4400 employees in textile and apparel firms in the Region. Many of the Region’s 38 chemical plants with almost 2500 employees produce raw materials for the textile industry.
Click image to download our brochure.
- Chemicals and Resins: Specialty chemical companies located in the region include Hexion Chemical, BASF, and Silar Laboratories. And textile companies with chemical production capabilities include DAK Americas, Invista, and Wright Chemical.
- Natural Fibers: Cotton production in NC’s Southeast Region is among the highest in the state, which ranks sixth in national production. Three of our counties produced over 20,000 bales (480 lb bales),and total production in the Region was over 100,000 bales (USDA 2008).
- Synthetic Fibers: The Region is home to a growing number of firms that specialize in the production of synthetic fibers, including DAK Americas, Quantum Acrylics, Omni Systems/Hygiene Systems, and Kordsa USA.
- Military / Protective Market: Fort Bragg, in the Region, and Camp Lejune, adjacent to the Region, are two of the nation’s largest military installations and provide convenient access to leading consumers of “protective” and “intelligent” textiles. Companies in the Region currently supplying military /protective needs include: Berg General Supply, Forster Textile Mills, NYP Corp-Ampack Division, Paraclete Armor & Equipment, and Camoteck.
- Medical / Hygiene Market: This market will be experiencing rapid growth over the next decade in this region more than others due to increasing retirement and military populations. Companies in the Region that are actively serving the Medical / Hygiene market include: Castle Uniforms, Cascades Tissue Group-NC, Laurel Hill Paper, and Omni Systems/Hygiene Systems.
- Textiles Off-Campus – program which allows professionals to continue their education in this rapidly changing industry, regardless of their location. A graduate certificate in Nonwoven Science and Technology is available.
- TexEd – leading provider of extension education and engagement for textiles and allied businesses and services. The program offers textile technology certificate programs, e-learning options, and customizable in-plant training opportunities
- NC Textile Connect – a website designed to connect NC textile companies with the myriad of resources, product and marketing information and events within the University and NC State government.
- NC State University Nanotechnology Institute – a university research consortium focusing on applied technologies such as nano-textile research.
- Mid-Atlantic location gives access to 170 Million US and Canadian residence in a one-day drive time.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- The lowest unionization rates in the country (1.9%).
- 2 deep water ports in NC and within 200 miles of the highest volume ports on the east coast (Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC).
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Foreign Trade Zone at the Port of Wilmington.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|Garland Shirt Co||Shirt manufacturing||Bladen|
|Luray Textiles Inc||Textiles and textile finishing||Brunswick|
|Dak Americas LLC||Polyester fiber and non-woven products||Brunswick & Cumberland|
|Filtec Precise Inc||Industrial yarn and sewing thread||Columbus|
|National Spinning Co||Spun yarns||Columbus|
|Whiteville Fabrics||Warp knit fabric||Columbus|
|Carolace Embroidery||Broad woven fabric finishing||Cumberland|
|Carolina Wholesale Assoc||Carpet and rug spinning||Cumberland|
|DuPont Teijin Films||Polyester resins||Cumberland|
|KK Stitches||Machine embroidery||Cumberland|
|M J Soffe||Active apparel manufacturing||Cumberland|
|Purolator North America||Filtration systems||Cumberland|
|Tuf-Tex||Bedsheets and blankets||Cumberland|
|Burlington Worldwide||Uniform fabrics||Hoke|
|Guilford Mills Inc||Performance textiles||New Hanover|
|INVISTA Performance Technologies||Polyester, polyurethane and nylon products||New Hanover|
|Newell-Davis Co||Rigging||New Hanover|
|Quantum Acrylics||Organic fibers||New Hanover|
|Ticona/Fortron||Polymers for nonwovens||New Hanover|
|Associated Distributors||Knit outerwear||Richmond|
|Richmond Specialty Yarns LLC||Industrial yarn and sewing thread||Richmond|
|Alamac American Knits LLC||Circular knit fabric||Robeson|
|Archer Trim||Knit outerwear||Robeson|
|Bon-Aire Filters||Air, paint air, and special application filters||Robeson|
|Buckeye Technologies||Cotton cellulose||Robeson|
|Contempora Fabrics Inc||Active wear fabrics||Robeson|
|Fisher Knit Trim||Knit collars||Robeson|
|Howard & Hagins Industries Inc||Sewing contractors||Robeson|
|Kayser Roth||Leg wear manufacturing||Robeson|
|MSA Paraclete Armor & Equip||Uniform and armor manufacturing||Robeson|
|Robetex Inc||Woven polypropylene products||Robeson|
|Saxon Co||Knit goods||Robeson|
|Tredegar||Plastic films, nonwovens and laminates||Robeson|
|XMC Films||Polymer coated films||Robeson|
|Camoteck Co||Canvas Military bags||Sampson|
|Charles Craft Inc||Needlecraft fabrics||Scotland|
|Kordsa USA Inc||Tire cord fabrics||Scotland|
|Service Thread||Industrial yarns and sewing threads||Scotland|
|West Point Home||Home textiles||Scotland|