Southeastern North Carolina contains excellent opportunities for emerging and established biotechnology companies. Wilmington has one of the largest clusters of research contract organizations (CRO) in the state and nation. Additionally, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington is developing a $30 Million marine biotechnology research center to take advantage of the region’s proximity to the coast. Agricultural biotech research is growing due to the region’s strong agricultural base and network of universities and community colleges engaged in biotech research and business assistance through Bio-accelerators. The North Carolina Biotechnology Center has a regional office to lead development in this sector.
North Carolina’s Southeast, in collaboration with the NC Biotechnology Center, has developed a GIS mapping tool to identify all of the bio-renewable assets within the region. Click here to see more information on the Bio-Renewable Asset GIS Mapping Tool.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center has recently launched a new initiative to support the Clinical Research Industry in the Southeast Region. Download the report below or visit the NC Coast Clinical Research Initiative website for more information.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington will complete construction on one of the most advanced biotechnology research centers on the East Coast in 2013. CREST Research Park will focus on bringing research to the market. Download the brochure below or visit the CREST website for more information.
- NC has 350 bioscience and related companies in the state, employing about 45,000 people.
- North Carolina ranks first in the nation for Contract Research Organizations, second in agricultural biotechnology research, third in biomanufacturing and fourth in pharmaceutical manufacturing.
- Over 2,500 Life Science professionals in the region.
- NC Biotechnology Center Regional Office – The Center offers grant and loan programs designed to promote education and innovative research in biotechnology and to expand and grow biotechnology ventures across the State.
- NOAA Underwater Research Center – housed in UNCW’s Center of Innovation, the NURC promotes basic and applied research in the fields of oceanography, coastal and wetland studies, marine biomedical and environmental physiology, and marine biotechnology and aquaculture.
- North Carolina Aquarium at Ft. Fisher – provides opportunity for scientific and veterinary research aimed at sustaining and restoring native aquatic animals and plants and their habitats.
- Bio-Accelerators – basic web lab incubators in New Hanover, Columbus and Robeson counties to spur start-up activity.
- UNC Wilmington Center for Marine Science –
- Graduate programs include Masters in Science for Marine Science or Marine Biology, Ph.D. In Marine Biotechnology.
- Post-Doctoral Program in Business of Biotechnology –offers fellows the chance to work on cutting-edge research in marine biotechnology while getting their MBA at UNCW's Cameron School of Business.
- Clinical Research Program—prepares employees for work in clinical research at pharmaceutical companies and CRO's.
- Technology Transfer Office – for commercialization of university research, specifically in marine biotechnology.
- MARBIONC—international leaders in marine biotechnology research working to bring new products to commercial markets.
- Marine Biotechnology Center of Innovation—will serve as an economic development engine and the focal point for marine biotechnology in North Carolina. This project is in Phase One development.
- Fayetteville State University – offers a BS in Biotechnology, as well as biotech minors with Biology or Chemistry degrees.
- Over 75 biotech-related companies located in the region, representing all aspects of the biotechnology community.
- 2,500+ employees in Scientific Research and Development Services occupations.
- Over 20 Testing Laboratories with 200+ employees.
- UNC Pembroke’s Biotechnology Business and Training Center — works to establish workable relations between UNC Pembroke and academic, business and local government entities to develop innovative training and research opportunities.
- BioNetwork – a statewide initiative that connects community colleges across North Carolina, providing specialized training, curricula and equipment, to develop a world-class workforce for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
- NC Bioscience Organization - trade association for the NC Bioscience industry.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- The lowest unionization rates in the country (3.1%).
- 2 deep water ports in NC and within 200 miles of the highest volume ports on the east coast (Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC).
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Foreign Trade Zone at the Port of Wilmington.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|American Distillation, Inc.||Distilled ethanol alcohol||Brunswick|
|Archer Daniels Midland||Citric Acid||Brunswick|
|OrthoKinetic Technologies LLC||Guides the orthopedic and neurosurgical medical device companies in the areas of regulatory and preclinical strategies for FDA submissions.||Brunswick|
|Pressure Chemical Company||Specialty chemicals and intermediates||Brunswick|
|TLI Development||Provides regulatory, medical writing, and quality assurance support for drug and biotechnology development.||Brunswick|
|AAIPharma Services Corp.||AAIPharma Services provides drug product development services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies.||New Hanover|
|BASF||Bulk vitamins||New Hanover|
|Biostudy Solutions LLC||Biostudy Solutions provides pharmacokinetic and statistical services and study design related to BA/BE testing.||New Hanover|
|Chemtex International, Inc.||Engineering / other services for technology companies||New Hanover|
|Chiltern International Inc.||Chiltern is a global CRO that conducts and staffs Phase I-IV clinical trials across a broad therapeutic range.||New Hanover|
|Elementis Chromium, LP||Chromium||New Hanover|
|IKA-Works||Laboratory, analytical and processing equipment||New Hanover|
|Inclinix Inc.||Inclinix is a patient recruitment/enrollment CRO.||New Hanover|
|Kendle International||provides the biopharmaceutical industry with strategy as well as clinical development and regulatory services to accelerate the drug development process.||New Hanover|
|Merrion Pharmaceuticals, LLC||Oral versions of injectable medicines||New Hanover|
|Novella Clinical Inc.||Novella provides CRO support services to biopharmaceutical companies and medical device companies.||New Hanover|
|Ockham||Ockham is a contract drug development company. Ockham provides clinical development, trial management and consulting services.||New Hanover|
|Osmotita Pharmaceutical, Corp.||Drug delivery technologies||New Hanover|
|PharPoint Research Inc.||PharPoint Research provides contract clinical data management, programming, and biostatistics consulting and operational services.||New Hanover|
|PMG Research of Wilmington||PMG Research of Wilmington conducts Phase II, III and IV clinical trials in a wide range of therapeutic areas.||New Hanover|
|PPD Inc.||PPD is a global contract research organization providing drug discovery, development and lifecycle management services.||New Hanover|
|Rothermel Clinical Research Consulting LLC||Rothermel Clinical Research Consulting provides contract medical writing and consulting.||New Hanover|
|Quality Agents LLC||Offers workforce solutions to Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, Medical Device, Healthcare, Energy and Government Institutions.||New Hanover|
|Pfizer Poultry Health||Systems for in-ovo vaccination of poultry||Scotland|