North Carolina's Southeast and the Research Triangle Regional Partnership have recently partnered with the Fort Bragg Regional Alliance to assist with marketing the Fort Bragg region to the Defense Industry. Please visit the Fort Bragg Regional Alliance website for additional information.
Southeastern North Carolina has a long and proud heritage with the presence of military installations in the region. Ft. Bragg, located near Fayetteville, is one of the nation’s largest and most important Army installations. Ft. Bragg hosts the 82nd Airborne Division, the US Army Special Operations Command, and Pope Army Airfield. With the relocation of US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) and the US Army Reserve Command (USARC) completed, Fort Bragg is now home to the highest concentration of starred generals other than the Pentagon. These moves are bringing thousands of new personnel and defense contractors to the region. The defense industry encompasses 7% of North Carolina’s statewide gross domestic product (GDP) and brings $23 billion into the State annually. According to the NC Department of Commerce, Department of Defense spending was $3.6 billion in 2008, a 22% increase over FY07.
Defense Presence in and around the Region:
- Fort Bragg & Pope Army Airfield near Fayetteville - Units on base include the US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM), the US Army Reserve Command (USARC), the XVIII Airborne Corps, the 82nd Airborne Division, the US Army Special Operations Command, and the US Army JFK Special Warfare Center, as well as the AF 43rd Airlift Wing and the 440th Airlift Wing. Ft. Bragg supports a population of over 150,000 military and civilian personnel on base.
- Military Ocean Terminal at Sunny Point (MOTSU) near Southport- is the largest munitions installation in the world.
- US Coast Guard Sector North Carolina in Wilmington is the regional operations center with forty personnel.
- Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville - Units on base include the II Marine Expeditionary Force and the US Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, making the base one of the Marine Corps' most important strategic assets.
- Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point is home to the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, the Navy's Fleet Readiness Center East and the nation's only Vertical Lift Center of Excellence.
- Marine Corps Air Station New River just outside of Camp Lejeune, supports and enhances the Marine Corps Aviation Combat Element.
- Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro is home to the 4th Fighter Wing and the multi-role, all-weather F-15E Strike Eagle.
- The US Navy's Fleet Readiness Center East (FRC East) at MCAS Cherry Point provides extensive maintenance and engineering support to Navy and Marine Corps aviation, as well as other armed services, federal agencies and foreign governments.
- Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUB Zones)- North Carolina's Southeast has 6 counties designated as HUB Zones: Bladen, Columbus, Montgomery, Richmond, Robeson, and Scotland.
- Center for Defense and Homeland Security at Fayetteville State University - a new research and development initiative in support of the mitigation and recovery of natural and man-made catastrophic disasters, within the U.S.
- All American Defense Corridor– A key national security zone stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Research Triangle Region resulting in one of the largest defense installations in the western hemisphere.
- NC Military Business Center – assists NC companies in locating and bidding on defense contracts. Also helps companies locate ex-military workers for jobs.
- NC Military Foundation– works to coordinate state and regional efforts to grow NC’s military and defense sectors.
- North Carolina Defense Business Association– provides networking opportunities, informational services and introductions to potential contract partners.
- NC Partnership for Defense Innovation (PDI) -- supports emerging companies with new technology development.
- Specially designed Military Business Parks – designed with defense contractors in mind, parks under construction to be ready for defense/security companies.
- Advanced Visualization and Interactive Design Center at Fayetteville Technical Community College – offers simulation-based learning ideal for globally oriented distance education and knowledge transfer.
- Mid-Atlantic location gives access to 170 Million US and Canadian residence in a one-day drive time.
- 10,000+ exiting military personnel annually.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- The lowest unionization rates in the country (1.9%).
- Existing large metalworking cluster and advanced manufacturing workforce.
- 2 deep water ports in NC and within 200 miles of the highest volume ports on the east coast (Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC)
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Foreign Trade Zone at the Port of Wilmington.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|Axicor||Parts and equipment||Bladen|
|BAE Systems||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|Boeing||Aeronautical and other service offices||Cumberland|
|DRASH||High-tech, soft-walled shelter systems||Cumberland|
|General Dynamics||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|ITT Mission Systems||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|K-3 Enterprises||Consulting and Program Management Services||Cumberland|
|L- 3 Communications||Prime Contractor in C3ISR and other major program areas||Cumberland|
|RLM Communications||Tactical / strategic communication services||Cumberland|
|US Logistics||Distribution and logistics services||Cumberland|
|QRP Inc.||Quick release pins||Cumberland|
|Booz Allen Hamilton||Telecommunications consulting||Cumberland|
|DK Enterprises Inc||Weapons supplies and equipment||Cumberland|
|Global Services Corporation||Information distribution and e-learning||Cumberland|
|The Logistics Company Inc.||Warehousing, storage and logistics||Cumberland|
|Shee Atika Languages||Training, translation and interpreting||Cumberland|
|Sierra Nevada Corporation||Electronic systems||Cumberland|
|Tactical Support Equipment||Communications, recon/surveillance & training equipment||Cumberland|
|WECC Inc||Civil engineering construction building and maintenance||Cumberland|
|Worldwide Language Resources||Language services||Cumberland|
|Johnson Controls Inc.||Electrical equipment||Cumberland|
|Graybar Electric Company||Electrical hardware and supplies||New Hanover|
|Military Wraps||Camouflage capabilities for military vehicles||Robeson|
|MSA Paraclete Armor and Equip.||Ballistic protection vests||Robeson|
|Porter Scientific Inc||Testing and inspection||Robeson|
|Meritor||Integrated systems, modules & components for Auto industry||Scotland|