Aviation & Aerospace
Southeastern North Carolina is an ideal location for aviation and aerospace companies. Our excellence in logistics and distribution, existing metalworking and manufacturing base, the largest military presence on the east coast and the location of over 280 aerospace companies statewide are a few of the assets NC can offer for this growing industry.
In our region there are in excess of 18,000 exiting military personnel each year equipped with the skills needed for success in this industry as well as 6 public and private universities graduating over 7,000 students annually and 15 community colleges with an annual enrollment of 77,000 students (roughly 4% of the region’s population) to meet this cluster’s workforce needs. Download our Aviation and Aerospace fact sheet.
The southeastern region also boasts five airports with runway lengths ranging from 5,000 to 8,000 feet all with adjacent industrial sites and three with uncontrolled airspace. Several other resources exist in NC to assist new aviation and aerospace companies such as the North Carolina Aerospace Initiative, a joint venture with educational and economic development organizations to promote applied research and aerospace education.
The region’s strategic proximity to the port of Wilmington, GE’s aircraft engines facility in Wilmington, Boeing’s Dreamliner facility in Charleston, Spirit Aerosystems in Kinston and HondaJet in Geensboro are just a few examples of why southeastern NC is poised for rapid growth and success in the aviation and aerospace sector.
- Strategically located within a 200 mile radius of Boeing 787 Dreamliner facility, GE Aircraft Engines, Spirit AeroSystems, HondaJet, and General Dynamics.
- Largest military presence on the east coast: Seymour Johnson Airforce Base, Marine Corps Camp Lejeune, Marine Corp Air Station New River, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, US Coast Guard Sector NC, US Army Fort Bragg, and Pope Army Airfield.
- 6 Airports with adjacent industrial parks, 3 of which have uncontrolled airspace
- 18,000+ exiting military personnel annually with skill sets that can easily be applied to the Aviation and Aerospace industry.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- Mid-Atlantic Location gives access to 200 Million US and Canadian residence in a one-day drive time
- The second lowest unionization rates in the country (4.1%).
- Existing large metalworking cluster and advanced manufacturing workforce.
- 2 deep water ports in NC and within 200 miles of the highest volume ports on the east coast (Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC)
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Foreign Trade Zone 214 at the Port of Wilmington and Foreign Trade Zone 93 inland.
- Several programs and initiatives statewide to increase NC’s Aviation and Aerospace cluster.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|Blackhawk Modifications, Inc.||Engineering services||Bladen|
|Taylor Aviation Inc||Engineering services||Bladen|
|East Coast Engine||Repair services||Brunswick|
|Sandollar Ventures LLC||Aircraft parts and equipment||Brunswick|
|Twin Precision Manufacturing||Machine shop, jobbing and repair||Brunswick|
|Fleet Readiness Center East||Repair services||Craven|
|Powell Avionics Inc||Transportation equipment and supplies||Cumberland|
|Sierra Nevada Corporation||Radio and TV communications equipment||Cumberland|
|Cape Fear Airworks, Inc.||Repair services||Cumberland|
|Eastern Aviation||Equipment rental and leasing||Cumberland|
|Echota Technologies Corporation||Electrical equipment and supplies||Cumberland|
|Honeywell International Inc||Aircraft engines and engine parts||Cumberland|
|L-3 Communications Corporation||Search and navigation equipment||Cumberland|
|Spirit Aerosystems||Aircraft components||Lenoir|
|Macks Engine Repair||Repair services||New Hanover|
|GE Aircraft Engines||Aircraft engines and engine parts||New Hanover|
|Dassault Falcon Jet Corp.||Engineering services||New Hanover|
|Dorray Aviation, Inc.||Transportation equipment and supplies||New Hanover|
|Logic Hydraulic Controls, Inc.||Fluid power valves and hose fittings||New Hanover|
|Maycomm Instruments, LLC||Aircraft parts and equipment||New Hanover|
|Williams Aviation Inc||Engineering services||Pender|
|Hayes Aviation LLC||Equipment rental and leasing||Robeson|
|Armorstruxx, LLC||Aircraft parts and equipment||Robeson|
|Charlotte Aircraft Corp||Repair services||Robeson|
|Tailwind East LLC||Aircraft||Sampson|
|Bonanza Flyers LLC||Aircraft||Sampson|
|AAR Corp.||Aircraft cargo systems||Wayne|
|Anchor Coupling, Inc.||Aircraft parts and equipment||Wayne|
|North Carolina Manufacturing, Inc.||Aircraft parts and equipment||Wayne|
|Pratt & Whitney||Aircraft parts and services||Wayne|
|U.S. Cargo Systems||Aircraft parts and equipment||Wayne|