Defense & Military
Defense is BIG business in North Carolina's Southeast Region
- More than 109,000 active duty military operating in region
- $2 Billion spent annually by DoD
- 18,000 military personnel exit the service each year
- 530,000 veterans employed in region
To learn more, download our Defense Industry Brochure
- Center for Defense and Homeland Security at Fayetteville State University - a new research and development initiative in support of the mitigation and recovery of natural and man-made catastrophic disasters, within the U.S.
- All American Defense Corridor– A key national security zone stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Research Triangle Region resulting in one of the largest defense installations in the western hemisphere.
- NC Military Business Center – assists NC companies in locating and bidding on defense contracts. Also helps companies locate ex-military workers for jobs.
- NC Military Foundation– works to coordinate state and regional efforts to grow NC’s military and defense sectors.
- North Carolina Defense Business Association– provides networking opportunities, informational services and introductions to potential contract partners.
- NC Partnership for Defense Innovation (PDI) -- supports emerging companies with new technology development.
- Specially designed Military Business Parks – designed with defense contractors in mind, parks under construction to be ready for defense/security companies.
- Advanced Visualization and Interactive Design Center at Fayetteville Technical Community College – offers simulation-based learning ideal for globally oriented distance education and knowledge transfer.
- Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUB Zones)- North Carolina's Southeast has 5 counties designated as HUB Zones: Bladen, Columbus, Montgomery, Robeson, and Scotland.
- Mid-Atlantic location gives access to 200 Million US and Canadian residence in a one-day drive time.
- 18,000+ exiting military personnel annually.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- The second lowest unionization rates in the country (4.1%).
- Existing large metalworking cluster and advanced manufacturing workforce.
- 2 deep water ports in NC and within 200 miles of the highest volume ports on the east coast (Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC)
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Foreign Trade Zone 214 at the Port of Wilmington and Foreign Trade Zone 93 inland.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|Axicor||Parts and equipment||Bladen|
|BAE Systems||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|Boeing||Aeronautical and other service offices||Cumberland|
|DRASH||High-tech, soft-walled shelter systems||Cumberland|
|General Dynamics||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|ITT Mission Systems||Prime Contractor||Cumberland|
|K-3 Enterprises||Consulting and Program Management Services||Cumberland|
|L- 3 Communications||Prime Contractor in C3ISR and other major program areas||Cumberland|
|RLM Communications||Tactical / strategic communication services||Cumberland|
|US Logistics||Distribution and logistics services||Cumberland|
|QRP Inc.||Quick release pins||Cumberland|
|Booz Allen Hamilton||Telecommunications consulting||Cumberland|
|DK Enterprises Inc||Weapons supplies and equipment||Cumberland|
|Global Services Corporation||Information distribution and e-learning||Cumberland|
|The Logistics Company Inc.||Warehousing, storage and logistics||Cumberland|
|Shee Atika Languages||Training, translation and interpreting||Cumberland|
|Sierra Nevada Corporation||Electronic systems||Cumberland|
|Tactical Support Equipment||Communications, recon/surveillance & training equipment||Cumberland|
|WECC Inc||Civil engineering construction building and maintenance||Cumberland|
|Worldwide Language Resources||Language services||Cumberland|
|Johnson Controls Inc.||Electrical equipment||Cumberland|
|Graybar Electric Company||Electrical hardware and supplies||New Hanover|
|Military Wraps||Camouflage capabilities for military vehicles||Robeson|
|MSA Paraclete Armor and Equip.||Ballistic protection vests||Robeson|
|Porter Scientific Inc||Testing and inspection||Robeson|
|Meritor||Integrated systems, modules & components for Auto industry||Scotland|
|Seymour Johnson Air Force Base||Military installation||Wayne|