Distribution & Logistics
North Carolina’s Southeast Region’s geographic location midway on the east coast provides excellent distribution access and logistics efficiencies for companies engaged in manufacturing, assembly, and retail distribution. This location places it within a two day truck drive of more than 200 million U.S. and Canadian consumers.
The region has a three-tiered, interlinked distribution model: 1) At-Port location offers buildings and sites within 20 miles of the Port of Wilmington. 2) Interstate corridors offer inland locations along three interstates – I-40, I-95, and I-74. 3) The region offers close proximity to key regional markets, including Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, and Atlanta, GA.
Projected growth for Distribution and Logistics in the region
Interstates and Highways
- East/west interstate I-40 (from Wilmington, NC to Barstow, CA) and interstate I-74 (from Wilmington, NC to Cincinnati, OH and west to Davenport, IA).
- North/south interstate I-95 (from Miami, FL to Portland, ME).
- 98 trucking companies located in the Region.
- The Port of Wilmington is 284 acres (approximately 115 hectares) and has facilities to serve containerized, bulk and break-bulk cargoes.
- Designated Foreign Trade Zone at the Port of Wilmington.
- The Military Ocean Terminal at Sunny Point, the largest ammunition port in the western hemisphere, and the Army's primary east coast deep-water port.
- The region is within 200 miles (approximately 322 Kilometers) to the ports of Morehead City, NC, Norfolk, VA and Charleston, SC.
- CSX Transportation is the primary railroad service provider in the region connecting the Region’s two metro areas – Wilmington and Fayetteville.
- CSX has a major rail yard in Hamlet and a TRANSFLO bulk transfer terminal in Wilmington. They have other operating facilities in Leland, Fayetteville and Clinton.
- Norfolk Southern also connects to CSX at Fayetteville.
- 3 shortlines – Carolina Southern, Aberdeen & Rockfish and Red Springs & Northern – also operate within the Region.
- Wilmington International Airport (ILM)
- Non-stop destinations to Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia and Washington, DC and hundreds of other direct domestic and international flights with only one stop.
- Current providers are US Airways, Delta, American Airlines and Allegiant Air.
- ILM maintains a separate International Terminal for US Customs and Border Protection, providing a full service Federal Inspection Station (FIS) to clear international flights.
- Fayetteville International Airport (FAY)
- Cargo service is also available at the Laurinburg-Maxton (MEB) airport.
- General aviation airports are located in 10 of the Region’s 11 counties.
- 41 companies in the Region that provide support for the transportation and warehousing sector.
- NC has no tax on wholesale and retail inventories.
- Technology transfer opportunities from the Global Logistics Research Initiative at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
Workforce Development Programs
- N.C. Community College System - two-year global logistics curriculum and free customized training.
- East Carolina University and North Carolina State University - bachelor’s degree in global logistics.
- UNC Kenan-Flagler Center for Logistics and Digital Strategy – focuses on logistics innovations and new technologies.
- Workforce that is 10% more productive than the national average.
- The lowest unionization rates in the country (1.9%).
- Free customizable training programs through NC’s Community College system at any of our eight Community Colleges.
- Highly competitive incentives and financial assistance.
- Population growth at nearly twice the national average.
- Quality of life that attracts and retains talent with a cost of living that is lower than the national average.
|Sue Bee Honey||Distribution center||Bladen|
|Inman Management Inc||Freight transport and supply chain logistics||Brunswick|
|Leather Italia||Furniture manufacturing and distribution||Brunswick|
|Goodyear Tires||Tire manufacturing and distribution||Cumberland|
|Polo - Ralph Lauren||Distribution center||Cumberland|
|US Airways||Air cargo||Cumberland & New Hanover|
|Star Leasing Inc||Trucking and warehousing||Cumberland & Richmond|
|CSX Transportation||Rail transport, warehousing and transloading||Entire Region|
|Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad||Rail transport, warehousing and transloading||Hoke|
|Horizon Tank Lines Inc||Hazardous waste transport||New Hanover|
|MCO Transport Inc||Trucking and warehousing||New Hanover|
|Old Dominion Freight Line Inc||Shipping, warehousing and distribution services||New Hanover|
|Superior Carriers Inc||Bulk trucking and transloading||New Hanover|
|Big Rock Sports||Distribution center||Richmond|
|Bestway Express Inc||Interstate trucking and heavy hauling||Robeson|
|Carolina Cold Storage Inc||Cold storage services||Robeson|
|Nash and Finch||Distribution center||Robeson|
|Quickie Manufacturing||Mfg./Distribution center||Robeson|
|Aludisc||Manufacturing and distribution||Sampson|
|Ezzell Trucking Inc||Transportation and logistics services for wood residuals||Sampson|
|WestPont Home||Distribution center||Scotland|